Apple iPad Information Center (Late 2012 Model)
In early 2012, Apple unveiled its third-generation iPad, and many expected this model to dominate for the next twelve months. But when the company announced the iPad mini, the full-sized 9.7-inch iPad was also updated with mostly internal hardware changes.
From the outside, the new 4th Generation iPad is identical to the iPad 3 released in March 2012, except the new model replaces the 30-pin Dock Connector with the same Lightning connector found on the iPhone 5, 2012 iPods, and iPad mini.
The other changes are internal.
In place of the iPad 3's Apple A5X SoC, the new iPad has an A6X, a variant of the processor found in the iPhone 5. Apple claims this new chip, which includes improved graphics, provides roughly double the performance of the iPad 3.
Of course, the updated iPad continues to have a Retina display, something missing from the iPad mini. And while the rear camera remains unchanged at 5MP with 1080p HD video capture, the front-facing FaceTime camera has been updated to capture 720p HD video, similar to the iPhone 5 - a marked improvement over the FaceTime camera of the iPad 3.
Battery life remains at the iPad-standard 10 hours under optimal conditions, but LTE will cut this by an hour or so.
iOS 6 ships with the new iPad. Siri voice dictation is also onboard, which was also added to the iPad 3 via an update to the latest version of iOS.
Prices and flash storage capacities remain the same as the previous iPad models: that is 16/32/64GB Wi-Fi models for $499, $599 and $699, respectively, and $629, $729 and $829 for the 3G/LTE versions with the same storage tiers.
The 4th Generation iPad is now available for purchase.
Purchase @ Apple.com
Apple iPad 4th Gen Specifications
- Dual-Core A6X SoC 1GHz CPU
- 16GB, 32GB or 64GB Onboard Storage
- Quad-Core PowerVR SGX GPU
- 1024MB System Memory (RAM)
- 9.7 Inch IPS Retina Touchscreen
- iOS 6 Operating System
- 2048x1536 Resolution, 264 PPI
- Bluetooth 4.0 and A2DP
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless
- Siri-powered Voice-to-Text Input
- 3G (HSPA/EV-DO); "4G" LTE/HSPA+
- GPS Receiver (3G/LTE Models Only)
- Lightning Dock Connector
- Accelerometer, Gyroscope & Compass
- HDMI Video Out (Optional Accessory)
- iCloud, Push E-Mail, Contacts & Cal
- Weight: Approx 1.4 Pounds
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- Internal 42.5Wh Li-Ion Battery
- Fingerprint Resistant Screen Coasting
- Up to 10 Hours of Use Per Charge
- Wi-Fi: 1.4lbs; 3G/LTE: 1.46lbs