Apple iPad mini Information Center (Late 2012 Model)
After years of passing on smaller tablets, Apple has released the iPad mini, the company's first tablet to deviate from the "standard" 9.7-inch screen design; the new mini has a 7.9-inch screen and a smaller body to match.
Like the iPad 2, the mini does not have a Retina display, but a resolution of 1024x768; though the smaller physical screen size makes the pixel density higher than the iPad 2, about 160PPI. It is also powered by an A5 processor, the same SoC that powers the iPad 2.
But like the 4th Gen iPad, the iPad mini has a Lightning connector, the Siri personal assistant, a 5MP rear camera, and an HD front-facing camera for video chats. And it's also available with LTE connectivity for Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.
Battery life remains the iPad-standard 10 hours under optimal conditions, but LTE use will cut this by an hour or so for models with this feature.
iOS 6 ships with the iPad mini. Since the mini uses the same screen resolution as the iPad 2, apps will work perfectly without having to be reformatted.
Flash storage capacities remain the same as other iPad models, but with lower price points: there are 16/32/64GB Wi-Fi models for $329, $429 and $529, respectively, and $459, $559 and $659 for the 3G/LTE versions with the same storage tiers.
Apple iPad mini Specifications
- Dual-Core A5 SoC CPU
- 16GB, 32GB or 64GB Onboard Storage
- Dual-Core PowerVR GPU
- 512MB System Memory (RAM)
- 7.9 Inch IPS Touchscreen
- iOS 6 Operating System
- 1024x768 Resolution, 163 PPI
- Bluetooth 4.0 and A2DP
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless
- Siri Voice Assistant
- 3G (HSPA/EV-DO); "4G" LTE/HSPA+
- GPS Receiver (3G/LTE Models Only)
- USB 2.0 Lightning Connector
- Accelerometer, Gyroscope & Compass
- HDMI Video Out (Optional Accessory)
- iCloud, Push E-Mail, Contacts & Cal
- Weight: Approx 10.9 Ounces
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack
- Size: 7.87" x 5.3" x 0.28" (HxWxD)
- Fingerprint Resistant Screen Coasting
- Up to 10 Hours of Use Per Charge
- Internal 16.3Wh Li-Ion Battery